Rant: Message to People Who Complain About Mojang's Development Cycle (i.e. updates take too long to come out)

• Thread starter /u/almostambidextrous
  • Start date
U

/u/almostambidextrous

Aight so I'm a programmer for a big corporate firm; not the world's best programmer by a long shot, I'm no Linus Torvalds, but I do well enough to get paid. I've also authored a half-dozen or so datapacks for Minecraft, and I've read the game's source code before 1.13.

...Programming is HARD, ok? The basics of learning a language are easy enough, the real difficulty comes in when you're dealing with a big existing code base and trying to update it without f**king up the features that are already there; you've got to understand all the code that is previously written and gently nudge it in the new direction you want to go. (just look at Bedrock for an example of how buggy things can get when they're rushed)

Working conditions for programmers in big companies are often not great, and this is especially true for the gaming industry, which is fucking brutal—although I have not been part of it myself, I have heard stories even when I was in Uni and was actively discouraged from joining it by one very particularly plain-spoken professor.

I see a lot of whingeing from people on this subreddit that Minecraft updates aren't frequent enough and don't offer enough new content (especially compared to mods*); I think that y'all have a very distorted perspective, this rate of releases is what should be NORMAL for a team of their size who aren't constantly being crunched, and IMO we should hope to see more game studios do like Mojang does and offer a good work/life balance for their employees.

Minecraft would not be the game that it is if Mojang's work culture were as hardass as some people want it to be.

(As it is, it seems to be one whose developers are genuinely passionate and engaged with the community, there's some good evidence they watch YT videos by Etho ilMango SimplySarc et al; it's one of the reasons that I still love this game after nearly a decade of playing)

/end rant

*Comparing mods to official releases is ridiculous. Mods don't need go through QA nor consider how they affect the balance of a game played by millions of people — they just get to do their thing with impunity, and that's their charm

submitted by /u/almostambidextrous
[link] [comments]

Continue reading...

free plugins
spigotmc
SpigotMC
minecraft paid for free
free minecraft paid plugins
free minecraft plugins
aac free
ewg free
Minecraft Premium Plugins
ewg free download
litebans free
epicworldgenerator free
free schematics
leaked schematics minecraft
schematics
schematics leaked
schematics free
minecraft schematics free
paid minecraft schematics free
paid minecraft schematics for free
free cracked plugins
free cracked minecraft plugins
plugins
featherboard download
featherboard plugin download
antiaura download
xenforo leaked
xenforo for free
xenforo addons

BlackSpigot General Chat
Rules Help Users
    Dekomori @ Dekomori: @WASTEDYEARS yes, what's your discord?